I believe you are reading this article because you are wondering how to wash memory foam bath mats. This is actually a very common question probably because memory foam mats feel and appear more delicate than the other materials.
Most manufacturers recommend hand wash or machine wash in cold water with a mild detergent. Chlorine or bleach should be strictly avoided.
When it comes to drying, memory foam mats should be placed outside to dry on a warm or sunny day.
How to wash memory foam bath mats
There is no doubt that you bought the memory foam bath mat not only for the comfort on the feet but also for style in your bathroom.
However, after frequent use, the mat is bound to get dirty and it will need to be washed to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
In order to clean a memory foam mat, you will need the following;
- Gentle laundry detergent (you can use your regular laundry detergent or soap)
- Non-abrasive scrubber
- Odor removers like baking soda or vinegar
a). Washing memory foam bath mat by machine
Memory foam mats can be washed either by machine or hand.
However, a lot of care is needed when machine washing memory foam. This is due to the fact that foam does not hold up well when it gets wet since it’s like a sponge. When wet, it becomes waterlogged, which can damage it.
So, if you choose you to wash your foam mat by machine, you need to first check to see whether the manufacturer has specified that your bath mat can be machine washed.
If it’s stated as machine washable, follow the following steps.
- Take the mat outside and shake it to remove loose dirt or use a broom to brush it off. Shaking will help to avoid your machine from clogging. Also, identify the stained areas to pretreat.
- Take your mat and put it in the washing machine on a delicate cycle.
- Add you’re a gentle liquid detergent or make your own by mixing 1 part mild liquid detergent and vinegar with half cup water.
- Fill the machine with cold water. Avoid warm or hot water, which can seriously damage memory foam because it is synthetic. Also, bleach and cleaning solvents should also be avoided.
- Once the cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s drying instructions.
- The most recommended way is to lay the mat under the sun to dry. Machine drying is highly discouraged as it may destroy the foam backing.
b). How to wash memory foam bath mat by hand
Some manufacturers specify that their memory foam bath mats need to be strictly hand washed.
Actually, this is the most suitable way of cleaning a foam mat if you want it to last longer.
Here are the steps to follow;
- Fill the tub or basin halfway with cold water
- Add your preferred detergent. Make sure the detergent is right for the memory foam mat to avoid damaging it.
- Wear gloves and goggles to protect yourself and stir the mixture with your hands. Then submerge your mat into the soapy water.
- Now start cleaning your mat by scrubbing with a soft brush or sponge. Be gentle because if you rub it too hard, you will end up damaging the mat. Ensure you clean all the sides thoroughly.
- Once you finish scrubbing, rinse the foam mat with cold water until you see the soap is entirely washed away.
- Lay flat outside to dry in the open air.
See also: Can you wash bathroom rugs with towels?
Things to avoid when cleaning a memory foam bath mat
Memory foam is very delicate and needs extra care when washing. It is therefore important to avoid the following things when cleaning as they may damage the mat.
1. Avoid bleaching
Avoid using bleach to remove stains because it contains very harsh chemicals that can easily damage your memory foam mat. Rather go for natural stain removers like baking soda and vinegar.
2. Abrasive scrubber
Memory foam is very delicate so you should avoid an abrasive scrubber to prevent tearing and damaging the mat.
3. Hot water
Memory foam is heat-sensitive. Thus, hot water can cause structural damage to the foam. Moreover, hot water can lead to fading, color running, and set the stain deep into the fibers making it harder to remove.
4. Cleaning solvents like Ammonia
Cleaning solvents contain harsh chemicals that will not only ruin the foam material but also the interior of the bath mat. Simply use a gentle cleaning detergent with cold water and a soft scrubber.
See also: Best bath mat for refinished tub
There you have it. We are hoping that you will carefully follow the above steps on how to wash memory foam bath mats.
Whether you choose machine washing or hand wash, the steps are straightforward. You however need to be careful not to use bleach, hot water, abrasive scrubber, or cleaning solvents like ammonia as they can easily damage the memory foam.